Thursday, August 23, 2012

Deer Zoo

About 15 kilometers outside of Lviv in a village called "winter water" there is a deer and sheep habitat. We went through loaves of bread, and kilos of crab apples feeding all the animals. 
Of course, Anne's favorite "reindeer" was "Major" - the one in charge. 
Ella liked them all, especially the "nice girls and little babies." 
I am fairly certain Mary ate more bread than she fed to the animals, and was pretty apprehensive about the whole thing ... unless being held, of course. 
So while these three little ladies may look very similar (and indeed the coordinating clothes help), they each have distinct personalities. 

The sheep were a bit more aggressive than the deer - and devoured whole apples in a near single breath. 
We picked wild berries, and ate them until our bellies were full and our fingers stained. I love the villages of Ukraine, the sustainable gardens, green open space, and peaceful atmosphere. Someday perhaps we too will have farm animals, and a garden to tend ... but until then, we'll just enjoy the ones we have access to on a part-time basis, and try to make it home before naps. 


 

1 comment:

Kristen I. said...

So fun...I can tell you've been over in the Lviv for a while now, speaking in kilos and kilometers! Miss you. The girls matching outfits are too cute.