Tuesday, July 19, 2011

3 Castle Tour

Olesko front door
As we toured the three castles in the Lviv Region, I couldn't help but wonder about the Polish King Jan III Sobieski who was born at Olesko in 1629, the aristocratic Rzewuski family who lived at Pidhirtsi during the 1600's, and the wealthy Polish families of Sobieski and Radziwill who lived at Zolochiv from the 1600-1800's. The castle homes  were beautiful, historic, old fortresses that have seen centuries of wars, rulers, kings, and tyrants, and now are in a less-grand state as tourist visit the once secluded sanctuaries. 
Pidhirtsi front door
I suppose it was while I was changing Mary's diaper at Olesko that I wondered about the young king who was born and raised in the same castle, and I had the thought, "what would it be like to raise a king, or future ruler?" What moats, and fortresses would you build to protect the child who would rule a land from enemy intrusion? What words of justice, equality, hard-work, and benevolence would you say to an infant as you bathed and changed him/her in hopes that they would remember these teachings at a future time and place when their position called them to rule in matters of law and land? What opportunities would you find, create, or make to insure the child knew right from wrong, was a leader in all matters moral, and could rule, delegate and inspire others?
Olesko front door
And then I realized, that is how I should try to raise each child I have the responsibility over, because they (like each of us) have similar royal potential. Or more practically, children have the ability to chose professions, and raise future children who will be leaders and rulers. While building a moat on top a hill to give my family the best defense against enemy invaders is probably not a realistic option (though I have to say, I could definitely live-up the palace life, and I do love a good view:)), there are moats of safety and walls of physical, emotional, and spiritual defense that must be built and regularly fortified if we are to raise healthy well-rounded children.

1 comment:

Brittany said...

I absolutely love the correlation you have made! Well said. This has given me that added bit of inspiration I needed today. Thanks!