Wednesday, June 22, 2011


 Yesterday we went to "Kings Cross" - an enormous mall outside of town, complete with indoor ice-skating, bowling alleys, and indoor kid play structures. This waffle stand made me laugh - the cities they have listed are Brussels, Kyiv, Moscow, Paris ... and yours truly - Lviv! Who knew Lviv would make that list?
Of course Ella and Anne have a thing for mary-go-rounds, so that was their favorite part of the mall.
We ate at this Ukrainian fast-food place ... potato, cherry, and cabbage vareneki, or Ukrainian dumplings. Ella asked, "will eating Ukrainian food make me more Ukrainian?" Benj beamed and couldn't be more proud.


Another main attraction at this mall is "Ashan" - a Super Wal-Mart type grocery store. They have really neat glass jars for canning - so neat in fact, that I may come up with a few things to can just so I can use them. And here are a couple differences from grocery stores I am used to in America. Lots of variety - I don't know if I've ever purchased sausage/ salami like this in the States anyway, but I am pretty sure I've never seen this kind of selection. Here is one I really like, you can buy frozen fruits and vegetables (crackers too) and bag them yourself ... doesn't that seem to make sense?
And finally on the food front - cheese: organized not by type, but by country of origin. This takes a little getting used to, and can make finding a particular kind of cheese more of a search than I'm accustomed to, but kind of cool, none the less. 







Allyson love design and takes lots of pictures of windows, doors, buildings, streets, people, more windows, doors, buildings, streets, etc - which is great because I end up with lots of pictures of things I would normally not take pictures of that are cool - and it's helpful as we discuss store (laundromat) finishes, lighting, design and such. So here are a couple of those pictures from Kings Cross. Thank you Ally.

1 comment:

Larsen's said...

I am delighted! :) I just spent the last 1/2 hour catching up on your blog. Loved it! Please try to continue to post all about your adventures. What an amazing place and experience. We miss you, but it is great to see your posts. :)