Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thankful for Arizona

We flew to Arizona on Thanksgiving day. There are lots of pluses for flying on the day of the holiday, if you don't mind missing the actual day. Flights are considerably less expensive, and the airport is virtually empty (both in SFO and in PHX).
I like Arizona: great resorts, unique desert scenery, things to do ... plus my parents live there. I do not, however, LOVE Arizona - it is dreadfully hot, dry, sprawling, hot, a little pretentious, hot, a "So-Cal-wanna-be" feel, and did I mention hot? The up-side to living in the Valley of the Sun is that you get to swim all year long.
Plus, my parents have great citrus trees.

And they say, if you live there long enough, you'll acclimatize. Even though it was nearly 80 degrees, people wore turtle-necks and sweaters at the Railroad park. This is where we spent most of our time ... and if you ask Ella, she would say it wasn't enough time. She still talks about the "Choo-choo train in Scottsdale" and wears her conductors hat.
On the touristy note - Benj and I were able to go on a few dates (a blessing of having family to baby-sit). We saw Quantum of Solace which we enjoyed tremendously! Make sure you re-watch Casino Royal before you venture out to the new 007, but definitely venture out. I was beyond impressed with the opening car chase (what a beautiful car) - how do you ever top that one?! - the fighting scenes and could someone please tell me where you get a touch screen computer or wall window like they had - wow!
On another date we went to dinner at the new InterContinental Montelucia resort (opened less than a month before). The food was "uncreative" and "uninteresting" (that's how Benj and I would write it up if we were real food critics - a job for my next life I suppose:)), but the resort was lovely. Fortunately we had dessert at the Chart House - I know, not creative, but definitely delicious.
But what is Thanksgiving really like at the Nelsons? What can I add that this photo doesn't say? The pink buffalo skull is a piece of 'art' my parents acquired in Aspen, and hangs in the room where Benj and Ella stayed (Anne and I stayed in my room - queen size beds, nursing through the night, not enough room for everyone, you get my gist). Lets just say that when Ella woke up in the pack-and-play and saw this looming overhead she had only one explanation: "broke?"

Finally, I think the best part of the holidays and being together (whether in Arizona or Azerbaijan) is tradition and spending time with family. Making baklava with 4 generations in the kitchen is a memory to cherish. Thanks for a great Thanksgiving Holiday - or as we say at SFSU "Indigenous People's holiday week."

7 comments:

Bridget said...

Nothing like going somewhere hot for the Holidays! People think I'm crazy because I would rather have a southern CA Christmas than a Christmas with snow. But that's how I grew up! When I went home for Christmas during my Freshman year of college it was 80 degrees at the beach. We went and laid out after opening presents :) Anyway, looks like you had a lovely Thanksgiving. Your daughters are adorable!

Larsen's said...

How funny that they wear sweaters when it is 80 degrees! I guess they really want it to feel like it is Christmas time, no matter what the weather is like. What a fun time! :)

Tammy said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! I bet your mom loved having you there. I don't think I would like to be in Arizona either to hot for me. But then again sometimes the winters are a little to cold for me in Montana.

debbie rowley said...

What a fun trip!

Meredith said...

Looks like a great Thanksgiving!! I remember being cold once it hit 75 degrees. Now I love it! It's all so relative :-)

SHIPP said...

What a fun trip. I am glad you remembered to pack Anne.

Brittany said...

It's so great to see pictures of your parents. They are such wonderful people. And the pink buffalo skull is quite lovely! I'm glad you had a nice trip into the heat!