July 2, 2012
Hi
Family,
Hope this email finds
you happy and well.
In many ways it seems
like we just got to Lviv, and at other times it feels like we've been here 6
years instead of 6 weeks. We had a couple fun and new experiences this past week...
not necessarily in order (chronologically or by significance):
1. Anne turned 4! She
was so gracious all day as she received gifts, and birthday well wishes. We
were a little nervous about how the big day would go down, because earlier in
the week she went to bed in tears dreading her "happy birthday." She
informed us she wanted to be 3 forever- Which I really don't blame her
for, we too think three is pretty great. Part of the problem, we learned, was that 3 is now her favorite
number ... but we assured her she has many more three's to look forward to ...
13, 23, and all the 30's for starters. That seemed to calm her down enough to
not dread the pending day - though she did tell us she already knows she will
NOT like being 21 ... we are all bracing ourselves for that birthday. Favorite
gifts were from the grandparents (of course),
picture attached - Bruce's cousin/sister/wife shark Larky, and Coral the snake.
We had pink pancakes for breakfast, and Anne had 4 hard-boiled egg whites (a
definite favorite food of hers).
We did birthday cake in primary, and then all 8 of the missionaries serving in the Lviv Branch came over,
plus one graduate student doing an Eastern European study abroad here, to sing
to Anne and play a couple of games.
It was fun, and felt kind of like a birthday party - even if there
weren't any kids:)
3. We had an
ultra-sound ... we (Benj and I) were a bit nervous about prenatal care in Lviv,
but we received a recommendation from a wealthy Russian lady in our building
who has had 2 children here that "Intersono" (the ultrasound/
diagnostic clinic) is a great place ... so we tried it out ... and it was
WONDERFUL! Comparing it to our other ultrasound experiences in San Mateo
(all three girls) there were some definite pluses about the Ukrainian
way - like less (okay, NO) paperwork, NO office wait, and NO co-pays,
insurance, and out-of pocket
expenses that seemed almost cost prohibitive for having children. Health care
in Ukraine is "public" and free - but there are private clinics and
doctors as well - you just have to pay for them - like the one we went to. I
brought my passport to the clinic thinking I would need it to fill out paper
work - NO paperwork! We waited for all of five
minutes in a very clean waiting room with a flat screen tv giving parenting/
prenatal tips and advice, as well as a juice health snack bar, and then went
into our room. There were two technicians, the one who did the ultrasound and
one who entered the information into the computer - again all very clean and
professional. The machine was the same as in America - with 3D capabilities and
all - the image was so clear, and all the stats came up in English! so I could
even read what she was measuring, which put me even more at ease. Both Benj and
I got a bit emotional when we heard the heartbeat and watched the baby kicking
around in there - the head, heart, leg bones, water-sac ... everything measured
out totally normal - and it was such a relief to A) know the baby is growing
correctly, and B) to feel more confident about the prenatal part of our experience here. Due date
according to measurements = December 27. Then, the icing on the cake, the bill
... less than $20 USD! We were in shock - truly. We didn't know what to expect,
and literally brought thousands of Ukrainian
ghriven not knowing what the grand total would be ... so we were pleasantly
shocked to say the least! All in all, I would chalk it up to a ten out of ten for ultra-sound experience. In
fairness I should say I had a great (quick, efficient) experience in Salt Lake the
day before we came to Lviv ... but I'm pretty sure the bill came to a bit more
than $20!
4. Benj joined us for
our weekly outing to Aqua Park - an indoor water park. It was his first time
coming with us, and we had so much fun.
Ella and Benj went down the big black tube slide together many times ... and I
think Benj just enjoyed doing something mindless and entertaining for a change
on Wednesday morning. In fact, while we were waiting in line to go down a slide
together, he looked at me and said, "what are we doing with our lives!?
It's Wednesday morning and we're all at a water-park in Lviv,
Ukraine!?" Crazy, right? We know - and for better or worse, the
weirdness of what we are
doing, and where, has NOT worn off. Needless to say, it was a fun break and diversion to have Benj join us
at the water-park. Fingers are crossed that he comes again this week.
5. Shevchenko Park and
Lychakiv Cemetery - I posted picture on our family: http://benjandmeagan.blogspot.com/
I haven't been
very diligent about updating the blog - but maybe now that I have a
bit more energy (14 weeks) and I
realize I can't send all the pictures I want to in an email ... I'll get better
at posting updates. My goal for this week is to update the Lviv Laundry blog as
well - but there is so much that has gone on with the Bubbles business I feel
like I don't know where to start ... you know how you feel when you haven't
written in your journal for years, and so you just put it off because there's
no way you could ever get caught up ... that's how I feel about the laundry
blog:)
Well, I think that's
about all from our end for now. We love and miss you. Hope you are all healthy
and happy. Facetime and Skype are really great ... and we love to use them,
wink, wink.:)
xo,
Meagan+
No comments:
Post a Comment