Monday, September 10, 2012

Week 16


Hi Family, 
I remember being in the MTC and hearing people say, "the days seem like weeks, but the week seem like days," and we had a few week-long days this week, though looking back now, it all seems to have gone by pretty quickly, The weather is certainly becoming more "fall-ish" - with nice sunny crisp-air days, interrupted by a cold windy/rainy day ... and strangely getting out of the house on rainy days is more difficult for some unknown reason. And, on days when we don't get out of the house until late afternoon (juggling napping, eating, and weather schedules) the day seems more difficult, so alas, there were a couple more 'difficult' moments over the last week, but we are all well and accounted for now. All in all, it was a great week. Ella lost her lower front tooth today - the big-girl tooth came in behind over a month ago ... and the little one has been dangling on ever since, but she's been very protective about not letting anyone touch or wiggle it. Today, Benj was able to get in there and it popped right out - she didn't even feel it. So I guess we'll have another visit from the tooth-fairy tonight. This afternoon, after church, we started moving the furniture around to build a fort when we found clumps of beautiful golden curls behind the over-sized chairs. Turns out, Anne found the scissors and decided to create bangs on herself … but she went a little short for bangs and now has stubby clumps of hair around her forehead, and ears. Try as she might (and we feel like she’s trying very hard with a pulled-front-tooth and shaved forehead) Anne is still a darling little girl with a passionate personality and vivid imagination. 
Benj was able to take the girls (Ella and Anne) to a local rugby game on Saturday. The Lviv team washes at Bubbles, and the coach is always asking Benj to attend a game ... so finally this week it happened. I fear, however, that Anne and Ella have inherited my sports-watching attention span, so they didn't last too long at the rugby match. Instead they found themselves at an over-priced local toy store, buying discounted (and still over-priced) plush toys - kitty cats, to be specific - to add to our ever increasing return luggage pile. Speaking of shopping, I was thrilled to buy the girls a couple of cute clothes on sale at Zara - a Spanish clothing brand that is very popular in Europe. I felt a little foolish and petty that the purchase made such a positive impact on my day - and then while I was reading in the Anne of Green Gables novel I actually laughed out loud when a character in the book has a similar experience. I guess I'm not the only one - shopping does make me happy. So, the last time we were at a local indoor play-place we frequent, I noticed a small shop with children's clothes. The area is a former outdoor bazaar that, over the last few years, has been turned into an indoor shopping area ... but the stores are still very much like you would find in an open-air bazaar ... one that sells faucets, next to a swim-suit store, next to a shoe store, next to a lingerie store, next to a children's store ... you get the mis-matched shopping experience idea. Anyway, I was anxious to check out the kids clothes, and even more excited when, amid the rummaging, I found a few choice items in the right sizes (H&M kids, and Zara from years gone by, but still new with tags). You can only imagine my shock, and dismay when I brought the items to the lady to purchase that she insisted on charging the marked prices on the tags ... when you would assume they'd be pennies on the dollar coming from the little 10 x 10 mis-matched store. Turns out that that's just Ukrainian business ... at first I thought it was because I was American, but I've been assured by many a Ukrainian since that a) kids stuff in particular, but items in general, are just expensive in Ukraine, because they're used to paying black-market prices for name-brand items and b) expect the unexpected when it comes to Ukrainian commerce. The thing I don't understand, and I've tried unsuccessfully to get a reasonable explanation for, is that you can go to the Zara store at the mall, and buy items on sale for much cheaper than the 'years-gone-by' items at the bazaar ... the only response is, "that's just how it is, and why the bazaars are having a hard time staying in business." It's like going to TJ Max and paying Neiman Marcus prices. Of course the bazaars are having a hard time staying in business ... the business model doesn't make any sense! Whatever. I miss Walmart and TJ Max. 
Another shopping cultural event - Benj (on a bazaar) asked to buy a lady's raspberries ... all of her raspberries. She declined and said she would only sell some of them, and explained, "if I sold all of them to you right now, then I won't have anymore to sell the rest of the day." True, which means you could either pick more, sell more, and make more money ... or take the rest of the day off to spend time with friends and family, go for a walk, etc. But that's how business rolls in the UA - frustrating when you feel so hard-wired in a different mentality. 
Ella, Anne, and I went to the ballet this week (they just resumed performances, took all of August off). I think it was a Ukrainian production/story because I haven't heard of it before and already can't remember the title (pregnancy brain) about a wheat harvest, young love interest with an un-approving mother, and it all ended happily-ever-after in just 1.5 hours - perfect for our viewing. 

Short, sweet, and entertaining. Though there was one part where the curtain closed to do a scene change and the orchestra was silent for several minutes (they should have replayed the overture or something) and I couldn't help but think that would never happen in a Ballet West or SF Ballet production! But then again, an entire box would certainly cost more than the $20 we paid. 
We also went as a family to the Lycheskiv Cemetery, which was fun to do - and though it hasn't changed much, I'm sure, Benj hasn't been since he was a missionary 15 years ago. There are over 400,000 people buried there - and so many of the old tombs/shrines look like pieces of art - it's almost like an outdoor museum.  
The motto for Bubbles this week is, "if you can't fire 'em, you shouldn't hire 'em" - which is why we avoid working with family and church members. Well, if we had family in UA we would work with them:) Benj had to let go of three employees and plans to release two more this week ... mostly because they're not competent (which seems strange considering we're doing laundry) but more significantly because when Benj confronted these said employees about the various events that took place, they lied about what happened. One minor incident happened during the night shift ... and it was on the security/surveillance tape the next morning, Benj gave the woman a chance to explain what happened, she lied, he showed her the tape, and then she said, "Well, that's not me" - when they are looking at the video (in color, mind you) of her, and it is clearly her. Excellent. So, though the event itself was not a catastrophe he felt like he had to release her from employment since she couldn't tell the truth, and then was defiant about the evidence. Is it this hard to get good workers everywhere, or is it a Ukrainian thing? We are still waiting on that second industrial iron (that is now in Lviv, just the smug-little UA man who clearly suffers from middle-aged short-man's syndrome who said all the permissions were in order, didn't realize they were expired AND mis-measured making it necessary to blow a hole in an exterior wall of our building tomorrow!). Bet your buttons we will post pictures on the Lviv blog this week.
By way of church, we are excited that our suggestion to have the primary sing in sacrament meeting is finally going to happen ... in two weeks (Sept. 23). We look forward to inviting our friends to see the girls sing in church before we leave. Church is such an interesting situation for us - it's very disorganized and impossible to get anyone to plan anything with a little foresight. Plus,the branch is run by the missionaries (couple serving as branch president, 8 full-time missionaries, missionaries lead the music, play the piano, pass the sacrament, say the prayers, etc), and while I'm sure it makes for great letters home for the missionaries about how much they are needed in the branch - you can't help but think the members should be trained and used to fill every possible spot ... if you were a visitor or Ukrainian investigator (which there never are any) it would seem like a very American organization. Plus, the job/ financial conversations we've had with all the members (except a couple of the old grandma's) makes member-relations awkward for the Becker-Bunch. But, I must admit that I feel we somehow as a family have to learn to enjoy church here before our 'growing' experience is complete. We (Benj and I) often laugh that this Ukrainian laundromat experience has been "character-building" if nothing else ... and we've joked that we don't really want anymore character than what we already have:) Though we know the Lord refines us all through experience, and though at times we feel like we are holding on by our fingernails, we are grateful for the many life lessons and challenges we are having. We have grown closer as a family, and been able to determine, more succinctly what matters most to us as we raise our children, and the type of home and community environment we want to provide. 
Well, that email update was anything but succinct! If you've come this far, thanks for making it to the end. We love and miss you and appreciate your love, prayers and concern on our behalf.
xo,
Meagan+

No comments: