Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Week 5


June 27, 2012
Hi Family,

We had a fun week last week - and I'm a bit shocked that it's already half way through week six - so this update is a bit late. My apologies. Sunday kind of flew by, and that seems to be the best day for me to send our update.
We went to a couple of different Ukrainian, Russian, and Greek Orthodox churches - one was here in Lviv, built like the old wooden style ...  but constructed in the last decade or so. The big event was spending 3-ish (2 nights) days in the Carpathians. There is a hotel we really like (the Edelweiss) in a little town called Yuremcha - we've stayed there several times over the years, and feel like it's our 'Carpathian home' now. Attached are a couple of pictures - the army of haystacks we passed along the way as we entered and left the various Carpathian villages is a definite highlight. Every time I see a line-up of hand thrown hay, I think that each one must have it's own personality - some are taller, have 'hats', are more round ... they are just one of the uniquely Carpathian highlights that I've grown to enjoy tremendously.  I've even begun brainstorming a children's novel about a Carpathian village that is trying to be over-taken by a  bad thing (villain/ queen/ force/ neighboring village - not yet sure) and the young boy/girl (about 10) who saves the day because s/he is able to communicate with the haystacks, who have the wisdom of the ages from the centuries of locals who have built them each year ...   we'll see how it all evolves. The long and short is, I love the haystacks.
One evening Benj and I even got to go for a "hike" and watch the sunset - thanks to Amira and Summer watching the girls. It was so picturesque: The red-roofed homes, little gardens, rolling green hills - I love it all. This year we were able to drive (hike the rest of the way when the road gave out) to a church and cemetery we tried to get to last year. Benj informed me he wishes to be buried there - but I informed him we'll need to find a location for him a little closer to "home" (US soil) when the time comes. 
Bubbles is busy, busy, busy - and though it was great to 'get away' and spend time together ... Benj's phone never stopped ringing - happy clients, disgruntled clients, happy workers, disgruntled workers ... it's definitely a 24/7 operation. 
Benj spoke in church on Sunday - which I think went great. in truth I didn't understand a word, but afterward one of the sister missionaries congratulated me on our fourth pregnancy ... so I guess that some how made the talk:)
We love and miss you and hope all is well. Thank you for your prayers, and support. We feel and appreciate them tremendously! 
Much Love,
Meagan+

No comments: